Sunday, September 30, 2012

Transition: Part 2

Tonight, I fly over the ocean.  Where I will stay for seven weeks.  SEVEN.  Technically, I'm starting my dream job, but in reality I'm learning how to DO that job.  It's a long time, so I've decided that it gets its own separate bookmark of life phases.  Well maybe not a whole bookmark--more like a dogear on the page.  (No, I don't really DO that).

Backing up...  After a month of unemployment, I started traveling 4 days a week to Princeton, NJ at the end of May.  When I started the gig, I thought it'd be a good idea--I could make some decent money while I looked for a new job.  And that's what happened.  It took longer than I anticipated, but the whole thing ended up being a great experience.  Turns out, they really liked me.  My boss asked me several times a week whether I was sure I couldn't stay on.  I could have learned a lot there, so there were times when I thought I maaaaaybe.  My labmates were smart & fun--a really good team.  They supported my ice cream mandate on my last week.  (This is EXACTLY what it sounds like--required daily ice cream trips to celebrate my last week at the job).  And most importantly, being away from home & out of my comfort zone was an enlightening experience for me.  Ever since my lay-off I've tried to stay open to all the possibilities life throws my way.  Being out away from all of the things and people that make up my life for a chunk of each week, being alone with my thoughts and feelings turned out to be exactly what I needed.

The transition extended to my personal life.  My romantic partner of 6 years is now just a really good friend. (And temporary housemate.  We're working on it!  Don't judge me!)  It was surprisingly undramatic as break-ups go.  Sad, for sure.  But there's almost no anger or resentment so we still get along really well.  It's weirding out our friends.  It's weird, I know, I get it.  Not being a couple any more was the right thing to do, but damn, I'm gonna miss that guy when he lives somewhere else.  I've been living somewhere else most of the time since May, but when I get back from my trip, I'll be back for good (sort of).  

Oh, and did I mention my son started college this fall?  COLLEGE!  Dude, I am officially an empty-nester.  Yeah, I know sometimes they come back home.  But that really isn't the point.  This little tidbit just punctuates how much change has happened over the course of this year.  He's gonna be awesome, BTW.  I know it.  He's learning about electricity--working with his hands & acquiring useful man skills.  Perfect!

And after a 3 month-long interview process, I was offered the job I'd been hoping for.  I did a happy dance right in the lab  (which was really just more like bouncing up & down, while wiggling my butt and punching the air--I'm pretty sure it looked every bit as ridiculous as it sounds).  My labmate laughed outloud, as well he should have.  

Now, I'm headed out for a new adventure.  It begins with 7 weeks of training in the UK, with 2 trips to Germany and one to Denmark.  I have 7 weeks to learn all there is to learn about my robot so I can teach other people how to use it.  I'm following the one other person in the world who does my job & when I get back, I'm the Applications Specialist responsible for North America.  It seems like a long time to be away, but not AT ALL a long to learn all there is to know to be good at my job.  Excited, nervous, thrilled.  Like, whoah.  7 weeks away from everyone I know and love.  No weekends home.  7 weeks to learn, reflect, grow.

When I return, I start my new phase of life.  I'll be traveling, but mainly in the US.  When I'm not traveling, I'll be home.  I'll set up a home office and my coworkers will be hundreds and thousands of miles away.  No cubicle, no communal ice cream breaks, no pipetting, no labmates, no daily commute.  

As a wise woman once said, change is so change-y...

No comments:

Post a Comment