Thursday, May 3, 2012

Living in these uncertain times

This isn't another theme park post.  I've been feeling pretty okay about the getting laid off thing.  I don't love uncertainty, but I can see the value of life lessons that force you to be in that space for a while.  Apparently, the Universe (or God, or however you like to think of things), thinks I need the lesson reinforced.  And maybe I'm too prideful, too, I don't know.
Anyway, I'm staying at my parents' in upstate NY for a while while they take a much-deserved vacation.  Last Friday evening, I went out to my mom's garden to cover her newly planted blueberry plants so they wouldn't die of frostiness.  I took both of my dogs out with me, despite knowing that they have a tendency to run off together.  I had taken them for an off leash walk earlier in the day & then were good--I didn't let them get too far away & they came back when I called.  Not so this time.  They started to frolic & run & sniff in the field across the street.  I called to them.  Nothing.  I ran toward them & called again.  Still, they were moving away.  Jerks!  I ran all the way across both fields, calling them & being ignored.  "I know you can hear me, jerks!"  They ran into the woods & I didn't follow.  It was an hour before dark & I had to plans to grab dinner with my sister-in-law.  When I returned at 11, they were still gone.  So was my teenager.  I slept on the couch with the light on that night.  My teenager returned, shut off the light & left me there.  My dogs did not.
I've been sleeping on the couch ever since.  Posters have been made, calls were put in to the local SPCAs & local dog wardens.  Every time the phone rings, I hope it's someone about the dog.  Every time I pull up to the house, I look for them.  Every road I drive down, I'm looking into the fields and woods for a sign of them.  We thought we had a couple of leads on Bentley in the next town over.  Last night, after spending some time handing out posters with my sister-in-law, I pulled up to my parents' house totally despondent.  Bentley was sitting outside on the porch.  He was skinnier & had a mouthful of porcupine quills, but there he was.
I freaking love my dogs.  We're THRILLED to have Bentley home.  At least, we will be when he gets back from the vet later today.  I've barely even been able to THINK about my joblessness.  A few emails here & there, but that's about all I've been able to muster.

Miles is still out there...
Anyone seen our dog?

1 comment:

  1. I keep thinking of his magnificent face snuggles. And I keep willing him to be found.

    ReplyDelete