Sunday, October 2, 2011

Bound For Glory, in search of The Perfect Space

I consider myself very, very fortunate that I get to see an abundance of live music. Most recently, I went with the lovely Anne to see the Avett Brothers in Gilford, NH. I LOVE seeing music with this girl. We are pretty much always on the same page with what we hope to attain from a musical experience. It's AWESOME, and this night was right on. These guys gave us the perfect bookend to the summer. Their melodies are lovely, their harmonies just right & every song has lyrics that just make you think. And feel. So much thinking and feeling. All of it is delivered with an undeniable energy. People were standing immediately--dancing, clapping, singing along. You can't NOT get on your feet.

The summer began with the Tedeski Trucks Band at Hampton Beach. That was awesome for many reasons, including the company. Meredith, Anne & I got to start the night off with a summer cocktail prepared by Diana, one of the rockinest chicks I know. She lives a short walk to the venue & it was summer and warm and we got to wear pretty dresses. I LOVE when it's warm enough to walk outside at night wearing a pretty dress. Then Derek & Susan & their ridiculously huge, talented band took us to church. God damn, they are good. His guitar + her voice = perfection. Bonus post-concert experience: fried dough on the boardwalk & a Derek Trucks/Mike Mattison sighting on the walk back.

Music, especially live music , has a way of making us feel like we're all connected. And I really believe we are. It's kind of ironic because often music seems to be written by people who feel isolated. But then they somehow get up the balls to go out there & share it. And suddenly, we're simultaneously having these highly personal emotional experiences within this larger, shared experience. When it comes down to it, don't we all just want to feel connected, loved, understood?

1 comment:

  1. Yes. Yes. Yes. Also, I'm pretty sure ALL OF US want to GIVE the love and the understanding.

    ReplyDelete